Macrium Reflect is a popular backup and disk imaging software for Windows users because it allows users to backup their entire disk or individual files using Microsoft Shadow Copy Service. However, many users have reported encountering clone failed error 9 while using this software.
If you are also in the same situation and finding a solution to fix Macrium Reflect Clone Failed Error 9 on your Windows, then you’re just in the right place.
You are going to learn the reason behind this error and methods to fix it within some easy steps. For that, you are suggested to read the guide by the end.
Reasons for Macrium Reflect Clone Failed Error 9
Before going to the solution of clone failed error 9, let’s learn the reasons behind this issue. There are 4 possible reasons behind this error on your computer which are:
1. Issues with Connectivity
Macrium Reflects cloning software needs proper connectivity between the drive and the computer. If there is any loose connection or the drive isn’t connected correctly, then it will stop cloning and show the error 9 on the bottom of the software.
2. Corrupted Disk Files
A drive becomes incompatible if the disk file is corrupted and Macrium Reflects cannot clone the incompatible drive resulting in clone failed error 9.
3. Third-party Antivirus Software
Many third-party antiviruses do not allow system cloning due to security reasons and block Macrium Reflects software during cloning resulting in clone failed error 9 issue.
4. Bad Sectors in the Storage Device
If the source device storage has a bad sector, then the Macrium Reflects software can’t clone it and shows the clone failed error 9.
The solutions to ‘Macrium Reflect Clone Failed Error 9’
There are some effective solutions to fix the Macrium Reflects Clone Failed Error 9 that are given below.
Solution 1: Check the Connections
The most common reason for clone failed error 9 is the connectivity problem. So, the first thing you should do after encountering the mentioned error is to check the connection between the drive and your computer. You need to ensure that there is no loose connection with the port of your computer.
Solution 2: Disable Third-Party Antivirus Software
Disable any third-party antivirus software installed on your computer and reboot your computer. Then run the Macrium Reflects software and check if the clone failed error 9 is resolved or not. If not, then try the next solution.
Solution 3: Clean the Target Disk
Running a disk cleanup process often fixes the Macrium Reflects Clone Failed Error 9. Here is the disk cleaning process:
- Press the Windows key + R key to launch the Run command box.
- Then type cmd in the search box and hit enter.
- In the command prompt, type diskpart, and press enter.
- Then, type list disk and press enter to list the attached disk.
- Now, type select disk *(your disk number) *.
- Finally, type clean and hit enter.
Solution 4: Run CHKDSK Scan
If the clone failed error 9 occurs with Macrium Reflects software due to a corrupted disk, then the CHKDSK utility will check, fix and restore any corruption from the disk. Here is the instruction on how to run the CHKDSK scan:
- Press the Windows + S key and type cmd on the windows search bar.
- Then select the Command Prompt and click “Run as administrator”.
- In the command prompt window, type the command below and press Enter.
chkdsk X: /f /r
Note: replace the word “X” in the command with the represented number of your drive. For example: chkdsk d: /f /r.
After completing the scan process, restart your PC and check to see if the error exists or not.
Solution 5: Avoid Bad Sectors
If the error occurs due to a bad sector of your target disk, then avoid that bad sector by following the steps below to fix it:
- First go to the Macrium Reflect application and click the “Advanced” tab from the top-right corner.
- Then select “Advanced Backup Options” from the left panel.
- Finally, check the checkbox that says “Ignore bad sectors when creating images” and click the OK button.
Hopefully, you will not encounter the clone failed error 9 again after applying the above steps.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Fix Macrium Reflect Clone Failed?
Apply the solutions below to fix the Macrium Reflex clone failed error:
- Fix bad sectors via running the chkdsk command.
- Clean the target disk.
- Check the connection between the drive and computer.
- Try image backup instead of clone.
- Disable the Antivirus.
How Do I Fix Clone Errors?
Follow the instructions below to fix the clone errors:
- First of all, use a SATA cable instead of using a USB connection.
- Then, connect SSD using the SATA cable
- Now, check and fix bad sectors of the target disk.
- Finally, restart your PC and check if the error is resolved or not.
Hopefully, now you can fix the Macrium Reflect clone failed error 9 with the 5 solutions after reading this article. If none of the above solutions work for you then you can use other alternative software to clone and backup your drive. But according to the statistic, most users have successfully resolved the error using these given solutions. If you have any suggestions or better options to fix the error don’t hesitate to share them with us in the comment section below.