Imagine, you are in a virtual meeting with your boss or you are doing online classes. All of a sudden, the system volume reduces, and voice commands activate randomly. This thing can disrupt your attention from your work, which is very annoying. You may have missed important parts of the class/ meeting.
Voice service which is known as Cortana is a feature of Windows which offers you a virtual assistant. By using this feature, you can play a video, can send emails, open browsers, run software, and so on. But it is not useful when it starts randomly because of a Windows bug.
If this issue is creating real trouble for you then you can follow the mentioned methods in this article. You can uninstall or disable the feature in your system. Let’s roll in.
Reason for Activating Voice/Cortana Randomly
A digital assistant feature was introduced in Windows which is known as Cortana. It helps you like google assistant and iOS assistant. You can use your voice to give commands and do your work without using a keyboard or mouse. It’s one of the known and useful features of the Windows Operating System.
But, sometimes, it becomes worse when the voice command activates automatically by itself. It’s annoying and also a distractive error for users. It can be happened due to a bug in Windows. If you use a laptop, then the gesture of the touchpad also can be a reason for this issue. There is nothing to worry about, it doesn’t affect your computer and is not a difficult issue to solve.
Methods For Solving ‘Why Does My Windows 11 Voice Activate Randomly’ Issue
Here, we have mentioned the working methods below. By following them, you can disable the Voice command/Cortana quite easily. We have also provided some methods for some specific things. To find out, be with us till the end.
Method 1: Disable Voice/Cortana Feature’s Wake Up Command
You can disable Cortana from the settings.
- Step 1: Click on the Start menu icon or press Windows + S and type Cortana.
- Step 2: Look for Cortana & Search settings and click on it.
- Step 3: Navigate into Cortana & Search settings option and look for Let Cortana respond to “Hey Cortana” and turn it Off.
Either you can follow this “press Windows + I > Privacy > App permissions > Voice activation” and turn off Cortana starts listening when you say “Cortana” and disable the Cortana feature.
Method 2: Log Out From Cortana Account
You also can turn off this feature by logging out from your Cortana account. If you are logged out, then this feature will not be in your Operating System.
- Step 1: Navigate into Cortana and click on Ellipses (…) icon.
- Step 2: Click on Sign out, provide the confirmation, and do click on Sign out again.
Method 3: Disable Cortana From Using The Microphone
If you are facing an auto voice activation issue while using a microphone then do follow the steps below.
- Step 1: Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Step 2: Navigate to Privacy & Security and then Microphone.
- Step 3: Click on Cortana and turn it Off.
Method 4: Turn Off Cortana Gesture From Touchpad
Laptop’s touchpad has a gesture feature (e.g., Three Finger Tap) for running any application quickly. If your gesture is set to open Cortana then you can turn it off or you can switch it to another application.
- Step 1: Navigate to Settings by pressing Windows+ I.
- Step 2: Click on Devices and then Mouse & Touchpad.
- Step 3: Next, click on Additional mouse options and look for the gesture option name Three/Four Finger Tap.
- Step 4: If you found Cortana there, then change it to different applications or shortcuts.
- Step 5: Click on Apply and Ok to apply the changes.
Frequently Asked Questions
How I can Control Voice Activation Settings in my Windows 11?
To control voice activation settings, navigate to Settings by pressing Windows + I. Then go to Privacy & Security and then Voice activation. Find “Let apps access voice activation services” and turn it Off or On.
Can I disable Cortana permanently?
Yes, you can. Follow the following steps and disable it permanently.
- Step 1: Press Windows +R and type cmd to open Command Prompt.
- Step 2: In the command prompt, type gpedit and hit enter to open Local Group Policy Editor
- Step 3: Now, do follow this sequence, Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search. Now, double click Allow Cortana which you can find in the right portion of the on-screen.
- Step 4: Finally, click on Disable and then select OK.
Cortana is one of the popular features of the Windows Operating System though it can be painful for some reasons. Random activation of Cortana can make things messy for you. The easiest solution is, to disable the feature from your operating system if it annoys you too much. You can follow method 1 or 2 which can lead you to disable this feature quickly.
Follow the methods which we have mentioned above and if you faced any issues or there arise any questions, feel free to comment below. Gracias!